9 Replies Latest reply on Aug 12, 2020 1:17 AM by andrewj

Tour the museum

andrewj

For anyone who is interested, The National Museum of Computing has a virtual tour on line.

https://www.tnmoc.org/news-releases/2017/6/6/3d-virtual-tour-now-online?rq=virtual

• Re: Tour the museum
          shabaz

Great virtual tour : ) works better than expected! And brought back lots of memories from the last time I visited (several years ago).

I couldn't find a way to virtually step sideways (without rotation) but otherwise it's easy to control with either mouse or cursor keys.

neilk

Nice tour!

last visited over 6 years ago and was particularly interested in the Elliott 803, as it's the machine I first learned to program, using  Algol 60. Our machine was 5 hole paper tape in and out.

Oh the joy of editing out errors in a paper tape, submitting a new job and then waiting at least 24 hours for the results! And yes, all it was was a missing semi-colon!

I must make another visit soon, on a Saturday when the Elliott  may be running.

Neil

andrewj

Museum is closed right now but planning to re-open in September - check the website as I think there will be visiting restrictions. 

It’s always worth dropping the museum a note to see when the Elliot’s engineer will be in so you can be sure its running and you can get a good technical run through: schematics, open cabinets etc.  I know that the chap loves doing that with people who are interested.

The 803 has a ‘tape editor’ attached!  Our Elliot 903 is also a 5-hole paper tape device and you can create your own - kids love punching out an ascii version of their name; the older kids love creating rude word tapes when no one is looking

dubbie

I didn't seem to be able to look at the posters on the walls. Maybe I was doing something wrong.

Dubbie

andrewj

The posters are visible to the extent they are in the video frame.  Some have green hotspots on them for more info.  I'm not sure what you are/are not doing though - are you expecting to click on a 'poster in the video' and see a blown up copy perhaps?  I believe only the green hotspots are clickable.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                    rsc

Too Cool....Had one of those....Got one of those......need one of those.....

andrewj

Guess how many conversations start “This brings back memories of when....”

I had a couple visit when I was talking to some people about the Harwell Dekatron/Witch and he said to his wife “remember when we were courting at Uni and I showed you that machine I used to use on my course - it was the same as this one”.  She did remember, but he was astonished when I told him only one was made so it was the machine he used!