12 Replies Latest reply on Sep 11, 2020 1:46 PM by drozwood90

my Ultrazed-EV seems ultradead

pmaurice

I have pulled out the module out of the box and nothing happen when i followed procedure to boot it.

We did check that jp3 was removed.

We did try to boot on qspi , sd card and jtag and we cant read anything from the uart.

We have downloaded borad definition files so we can make a project with vivado.

From there we can generate bitstream and .xsa for vitis but we cant run a hello_world program. we encounter FSBL weird error since vivado generate boot component itself.

We can drop a bitstream with vivado or vitis and make the blue led PS_DONE pop but nothing much else.

Avent support sent me here so i take the chance to ask if someone encountered the same issue.

We suspect that memory or something on the board is damaged.

• Re: my Ultrazed-EV seems ultradead
          drozwood90

Hi there,

What carrier card are you using?  A custom, or the Avnet -EV CC?

If you are using PetaLinux, what version of PetaLinux are you using?

If it is the Avnet carrier, can you see if the board boots using the Avnet built BSP?

Since you mentioned, Vitis, you can also test with the Avnet pre-generated Vitis platform or BSP.

You can find those here:

http://avnet.me/DBA_BSPS_PLATFORMS_2019p2

I have also seen a few strange things with Vitis and what it assumes you want done with the FSBL.  You can certainly also take the FSBL from your PetaLinux project and use that in place of the files when you tie all the pieces together to generate your platform.  If you would like to see how we generate platforms, you can find this in our make scripting in our Vitis repository.

https://github.com/avnet/vitis

--Dan

pmaurice

I am using the carrier card from avnet it's an evaluation board.

i am using vivado, vitis and petalinux version 2020.

I have not try petalinux yet since i was not able to make it boot baremetal.

It is suppose to be working in 5 min out of the box ><

drozwood90

Hi there,

Sorry that you are having this trouble.  I have personally used this and aside from downloading the BSP, I can say the "5 minutes" you speak of is not unreasonable.

I would strongly suggest you try one of the images that I posted.  I know those work, which like with any good engineering process, let's take this one certainty at a time and determine where the issue is.

Also note, that 2020.1 does have other requirements for boot files.  I cannot recall the details as of this post, but it is more than just the boot.bin and image.ub (if using PetaLinux), which might actually be your issue.  We have not released official 2020.1 BSP images as of this post.

To ensure the hardware is OK, please download one of those prebuilt - known working images - for UltraZed-EV, load that up with the provided SDCARD from the kit.  Double check your boot switches are correct to boot from SDCARD.  Insert the card, power up the unit and check for the Blue DONE LED.  If that lights up, check the terminal connection.  With some of our boards, when you plug in the USB Serial Terminal, you will see two com ports.  I believe that UltraZed-EV does bring both STDIO UARTS to that USB Serial Port chip.  You should test both at 115,200, 8, N, 1.

--Dan

pmaurice

I have done what you suggested, I have tried few image from the website you provided and the result is always the same ;

when i power up the board with the SD card (whatever image on sd card) board seems to barely do something and after few moments the led PS_ERR_OUT. Additionally nothing is spit from uart.

like the topic , my ultrazed-ev seems ultradead