2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 18, 2020 12:37 PM by adamwebber

Can I specify the default designator text size for the footprint?

lsscythe

I have the following problems:

1>

When adding a new FootPrint, the size of the designator is always fixed at 60mils height-10mils width and inserted.

2>

To change the size of all designators I have to use the Inspector after each selection.

3>

Adding a designator on the footprint creates two designators.

I want to change the default text size of the designator.

How can i do?

• Re: Can I specify the default designator text size for the footprint?
          pizutti

Hi, I have the same issue with the software, but I manage to work with the available options, after placed all objetcs i follow theses steps:

1. Set the selection filter to Text
          2. select all with Ctrl+A (or select just the subset of compnents you wish to change)
          3. Activate the object inspector in View Tab
          4. Change the text properties as required using the inspector panel (Text Height, Text Width etc)

Now some Images to help locate:

Selection filter to just Texts,

Text Height and Width in the Object Inspector,

This will change all texts to the desired heigth and width, and I usually proceed with theses steps after all the components that changed are already in the PCB editor.

Hope it helps!!

regards,

Pablo B. Pizutti

• Re: Can I specify the default designator text size for the footprint?
            adamwebber

If you want to change the default settings then you need to edit a file in a text editor such as Notepad++ or similar.

Start by Closing CircuitStudio or else the changes won't be saved.

First, find the location of the file you need to edit.

C:\Users\YOUR NAME\AppData\Roaming\Altium\CircuitStudio {XXXXXXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXXXXXXXXXX}

Second, create a copy of ADVPCB.DFT (to protect yourself in case you mess it up)

Open the file.

Find the Component.  Should be line 9.

Scroll to the right until you find DESIGNATOR.XXXXX.  This is where you will change all of the attributes of the component designator.  Don't go crazy here.  Change little things at a time.

Save the file and restart CS.