10 Replies Latest reply on Oct 21, 2020 5:13 AM by shabaz

Regarding shipping price of my winnings.

cbohra00627

Recently, I had won a $100 shopping cart in a webinar on this community. The organizers said that I will have to create a shopping list and send to them. I live in India. They said that they will buy the products from the US based site and send them to me. They said that the shipping will be on them i.e. I will not have to pay for the shipping.

But I don't know if I will have to pay any kind of custom fees or taxes on receiving the parcel. It's not like that I don't want to pay anything.

Actually I don't want that the person bringing my parcel comes to my door and says, "Hi, I have brought your parcel. Now, hurry up and empty your pockets" and I am completely unaware of this.

If anyone knows anything about this, please let me know.

Thanks!

• Re: Regarding shipping price of my winnings.
          jw0752

Here in the US the prize packages have always arrived without any shipping or any additional costs. You will probably have to check with the Indian Government policies as I suspect that Farnell has no control over their tax / duty regulations.

John

4 of 4 people found this helpful
            dougw

If you do a simple search on this site for "shipping India" you will find several past discussions about issues with shipping to India including this one:

The nightmare that is Indian Logistics - A real hinderance in India’s growth

element14 tries to help, but sometimes there are still problems.

Even where I am (in Canada) which generally has no extra charges on element14 shipments, sometimes I get charged with shipping and brokerage fees.

You could try messaging the members who have had experience with shipping to India to see how it worked out.

cbohra00627

Hi,

I tried searching it. But I did not find anything regarding the tax and customs fees to be paid.

While searching, I came across the terms & conditions of roadtests, and it was written there:

'

Winners are responsible for all applicable taxes, duties or other charges payable in relation to any prize.

'

So, I guess its the recipient's responsibility to pay for the taxes, at least in case of roadtests.

But there are no terms & conditions given on the webinar pages. So, I am not sure if I will have to pay for the taxes and customs or not.

I think they should make these prizes more official, I mean these prizes should also have written terms & conditions like in case of roadtests.

I tried online cost calculators. I don't know if I am right but it seems that the customs and taxes will be more than the prize money I won. But yeah, I might have entered wrong paratmeters in the calculator like the dimensions and the weight.

And yes, I tried contacting other winners but I think we need to follow each other to be able to send private messages.

So, I followed them. But, they are not following me back.... HaHa.

Anyways, thanks for helping.

tariq.ahmad

Hi cbohra00627 ,

This is in regards to your shopping cart i believe.    We are having it sent locally so we can pay for the custom duties ourselves.   There is an out of stock part that you'll need to find a substitute part for and I can then place the order.   We try to avoid having you pay these fees whenever possible but there will occasionally be situations where this may not be the case, such as a sponsored event, where the process may not allow us to assume the costs which is why the terms and conditions state that technically this would be the end user's responsibility.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                        cbohra00627

Hello tariq.ahmad,

Yes, it is in regards of the shopping cart.

Actually, I searched online about the tax and custom systems and I think I got confused. I thought this will cost me more than the prize money though I might be wrong.

I think every winner should be told about this (whether he/she will have to pay or not) before he/she accepts the offer.

Anyways, thanks for resolving the issue. And I will send you the other part as early as possible.

Thanks again!

Christopher Stanton

> I think every winner should be told about this (whether he/she will have to pay or not) before he/she accepts the offer.

Likely, though it's pretty commonplace that whatever you receive via the post is liable for customs and tax, even where I am in the United Kingdom I expect it may happen. Where do you think we could have this information so that it's clear for people? Where would you expect to see it?

cbohra00627

Yes, you are right that its common sense that shipping from other countries might attract additional fees and that's why I wanted to know how much will I have to pay (if I have to).

But the thing is that knowing something and experiencing it are different, I mean I haven't ordered or got anything from other countries before (and I believe this is true for most of the new members of this community, but I might be wrong) and thus, I don't know how does this custom and tax system work.

I think there should be a list showing the countrywise maximum fees which the receiver might have to pay under certain conditions on this site itself, so that they are already aware of it.

This is just a suggestion.

Thanks!

Christopher Stanton

> I think there should be a list showing the countrywise maximum fees which the receiver might have to pay under certain conditions on this site itself, so that they are already aware of it.

That would be very difficult to maintain, each country has their own limits and conditions for customs and tax charges and those vary depending on the type of item (and may not even be available online), where it's from and who's sending/receiving it, and not every country has a singular place to refer to in getting this information. Here's an example for the UK, and even this information has changed over the past year or two.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                                      shabaz

Hi Chinmay,

Regarding

should be a list showing the countrywise maximum fees

that would be almost impossible to get right, because every country has its own rules, and they change. The rules can be complex too. For example, in Europe, the tax is determined by going to a massive European database and searching through thousands of descriptions to match the item to a tariff. It will be just as complex in India. Take a look at the European example below.. each one of these will have a different rate and different rules depending on which country items are coming from too.

1 of 1 people found this helpful