3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 28, 2020 5:53 PM by apadana1984

Minized Petalinux 2020 - WiFi Shell Script

apadana1984

Hello,

I am building Petalinux 2020.1 for my Minized Board. I downloaded the Avnet BSP package. I noticed that the default Shell script for enabling the WiFi module has an issue:

#Mount the eMMC

echo "Mount the eMMC."

mount /dev/mmcblk1p1 /mnt

When I boot my Petalinux, there is not such "mmcblk1p1". There is "mmcblk0p1". What is the best way to correct this file? I changed it and re-built my Petalinux, however, the shell script in the image file didn't change!!! Am I missing something?

Also, I changed my "wpa_supplicant.conf" file to include my WiFi user ID&PASSWD, however, the file doesn't change in the linux image file.

I appreciate if someone can look into this problem.

Thank you

• Re: Minized Petalinux 2020 - WiFi Shell Script
          apadana1984

I fixed the issues as follows:

1- Regarding the wifi.sh script, I changed the script to:

#Overwrite the default wpa_supplicant setup with one edited with

#the WLAN SSID and password that was previously copied to the eMMC.

echo "Copy the wpa_supplicant.conf file from eMMC to /etc."

echo "NOTE!  This file must have been previously edited with"

echo "the WLAN SSID and password!"

#Mount the eMMC

echo "Copy the wpa_supplicant.conf file from eMMC to /etc."

cp -f /media/sd-mmcblk0p2/usr/local/bin/wpa_supplicant.conf /etc/.

#Run wpa_supplicant for secure networking:

echo "Bringup the WiFi interface."

The files already exists in /media/sd-mmcblk0p2/usr/local/bin folder. We don't need to mount it again in order to use it. I removed those the lines related to mounting and un-mounting.

2- As for non-updating the rootfs.wic even after I rebuild the Petalinux, I noticed that those in /pre-built/linux/images are not being updated, however, the one in /images/linux directory is in fact being updated.

My Minized now loads the correct shell scripts and WiFi modules works perfect.

Thank you

narrucmot

Hi Iman,

That shell script (wifi.sh?) has been used for years, so I am surprised that it is breaking now.  I will look into this.

The reason why the script reverts to its original state on a reboot is because the MiniZed, by default, boots a RAMdisk root filesystem.  This means the entire filesystem exists in RAM while the system is booted and is thus volatile.  Changes and edits to files are not persistent on a reboot.  That is why the wpa_supplicant.conf file, once edited with your WLAN SSID and password information, is meant to be stored on the FAT partition of the eMMC (mmcblk<0|1>p1) memory.

The MiniZed can be configured to boot the Linux kernel from QSPI and mount a persistent filesystem on a EXT4 partition of the eMMC.  I believe there are shell scripts provided in the BSP that will program the QSPI and eMMC for this boot method.

--Tom

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                apadana1984

Thank you Tom. By non-updating scripts, I meant the scripts in "rootfs.wic" file created in the host Linux machine. There are two directories in which we can find "rootfs.wic":

1. <project-home>/images/linux/
                2. <project-home>/pre-built/linux/images

The first one updates once we build the Petalinux project. But the second one doesn't update. Maybe its name "pre-built" implies that.(?!)

Iman