2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 20, 2021 9:39 AM by achbou6

NFS Rootfs in Avnet Ultra96v2

achbou6

I want to mount NFS rootfs on the Avnet Ultra96v2, the board doesn't have an Ethernet Interface so I connected an USB-Ethernet adapter (I am sure that the adapter works, I already installed a prebuilt image in the MMC and send succesfully ping requests). I followed the steps in Configuring NFS Boot http://https//www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx2019_2/ug1144-petalinux-tools-reference-guide.pdf to configure the image in Petalinux, then I used the petalinux command to boot the board via JTAG: petalinux-boot --jtag --prebuilt 3 the kernel booted and the command line is pointing to the NFS server but the kernel is not able to get the rootfs, what I noticed is that the Ethernet Led in the USB-Ethernet Adapter is not blinking, so I would suppose that at that stage the driver for the adapter is not recognized by the kernel.

Can Anyone give some hints, tutorial or maybe patchs to resolve this Problem

• Re: NFS Rootfs in Avnet Ultra96v2
          narrucmot

Hi Achraf,

Can you elaborate on "the command line is pointing to the NFS server"?  At the point the kernel is trying to mount the NFS rootfs does the Ultra96-V2 board have an IP address?  What rootfs is being supplied via NFS?  Is the device driver for the USB Ethernet dongle built as a module to be dynamically loaded by the kernel, or is it built statically into the kernel?  I suspect it is built as a module, and thus would be supplied by the rootfs and not the kernel binary.  That would mean the kernel can't fetch it because it is in the NFS rootfs.  A sort of chicken-and-egg problem.  If you are looking to use NFS for software development to build your software app on a Linux host and run the software app remotely you may want to mount the rootfs normally via the SD card first and then mount the NFS share once the USB Ethernet dongle driver is loaded.

--Tom

2 of 2 people found this helpful
            • Re: NFS Rootfs in Avnet Ultra96v2
              achbou6

Hi Tom,

- Can you elaborate on "the command line is pointing to the NFS server"?

I mean in the kernel log I can read the kernel command line and it is correct it points to the correct NFS server"[    0.000000] Kernel command line: earlycon console=ttyPS0,115200 clk_ignore_unused root=/dev/nfs nfsroot=192.168.0.199:/mnt/nfs/fpga/,tcp iw".

- At the point the kernel is trying to mount the NFS rootfs does the Ultra96-V2 board have an IP address?

How can I know ?, the kernel log is not showing any Ip address, Maybe yes you are right I have to update the kernel command line with something like "ip=dhcp"

- Is the device driver for the USB Ethernet dongle built as a module to be dynamically loaded by the kernel, or is it built statically into the kernel?

I neither build it statically nor as module, I was optimistic and thought it is already statically built in the kernel, so now it's clear I have to add it statically or adapt your Idea, If you recommend any resources on this that would be great.

Thank you