5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 10, 2017 3:16 PM by jasperc

Looking for a common anode 5mm RGB LED .lbr

Hello,

I am very new to Cadsoft Eagle and designing circuits in general. I'm

trying to design a circuit that has four common anode 5mm RGB LEDs.

I have been following some tutorials on youtube and I am looking to create

a schematic before transferring it to the board. I am trying to find a .ldr

for a common anode RGB LED but I can not seem to find one. I have found

what I believe to be a common cathode RGB LED that is located here >

ftp://ftp.cadsoft.de/eagle/userfiles/libraries/led_rgb.lbr

Could someone confirm that this is common cathode rather than the common

anode that I seek?

If that is the case does anyone know where I may find a .lbr for a common

anode RGB LED?

Thanks in advance for any help.

--

Web access to CadSoft support forums at www.eaglecentral.ca.  Where the CadSoft EAGLE community meets.

• Re: Looking for a common anode 5mm RGB LED .lbr

Franco wrote:

Hello,

I am very new to Cadsoft Eagle and designing circuits in general. I'm

trying to design a circuit that has four common anode 5mm RGB LEDs.

I have been following some tutorials on youtube and I am looking to create

a schematic before transferring it to the board. I am trying to find a .ldr

for a common anode RGB LED but I can not seem to find one. I have found

what I believe to be a common cathode RGB LED that is located here >

ftp://ftp.cadsoft.de/eagle/userfiles/libraries/led_rgb.lbr

Could someone confirm that this is common cathode rather than the common

anode that I seek?

Yes, that is common cathode. Unfortunately common anode RGB LEDs are

rare and can be difficult to purchase, which is why I recently needed a

high-side driver in a design.

If that is the case does anyone know where I may find a .lbr for a common

anode RGB LED?

Since you are new to Eagle this is the perfect opportunity to start your

own library, and learn how to do edits there. Get a fresh cup of coffee

or Espresso. Now duplicate the file and call it something else, like

Franco_LED.lib or something. Go into the symbol, selection box around

one of the diodes, pick rotate tool, right-click on the highlighted area

twice which flips it upside down. Do this with all three. Box around all

diodes, pick move tool, right-click and move them back up to where they

were.

Probably better not to call the common terminal ground, but maybe "COM"

or something. You could also make the symbol a little nicer looking.

Also, rename it so it won't be confused with the original.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Report back when you get stuck. It's important to learn the generation

of library parts because it is only a matter of time until you come

across a part that is nowhere to be found. Some IC, or like in my case

fiber-optics stuff.

--

Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Hello Joerg,

Thank you for your reply, that is a great help.

Most of that seems fairly straight forward, I do a little drawing in

AutoCAD so rotating the parts around should be fairly straight forward.

Actually, this is what I am designing if you are interested:

I thought I would draw it in AutoCAD to see if it would work as I am more

comfortable with that software.

Anyway back to the editing, I am a little stuck at this point:

>Since you are new to Eagle this is the perfect opportunity to >start your

>own library, and learn how to do edits there. Get a fresh cup >of coffee

>or Espresso. Now duplicate the file and call it something else, >like

>Franco_LED.lib or something. Go into the symbol, selection box >around

>one of the diodes, pick rotate tool, right-click on the >highlighted area

>twice which flips it upside down. Do this with all three. Box >around all

>diodes, pick move tool, right-click and move them back up to >where they

>were.

I am not sure what you mean by 'Go into the symbol'. Is this something I do

in the Schematic page or somewhere else? I tried highlighting one of the

LEDs I had added to the page but I couldn't find a function that would let

me edit it.

Thank you once again for your help   

Franco

--

Web access to CadSoft support forums at www.eaglecentral.ca.  Where the CadSoft EAGLE community meets.

Franco wrote:

Hello Joerg,

Thank you for your reply, that is a great help.

Most of that seems fairly straight forward, I do a little drawing in

AutoCAD so rotating the parts around should be fairly straight forward.

Actually, this is what I am designing if you are interested:

The picture didn't make it. You can attach files here in this group

(modestly sized ones at least) but not inline with the text because it's

an ASCII-based newsgroup.

I thought I would draw it in AutoCAD to see if it would work as I am more

comfortable with that software.

I have two clients that draw schematics in AutoCAD but that software

isn't very well geared for schematics. You'd miss out on a lot of the

functionality that an electrical CAD program such as Eagle affords.

Netlisting, layout inteface, and so on.

Anyway back to the editing, I am a little stuck at this point:

>> Since you are new to Eagle this is the perfect opportunity to >start your

>> own library, and learn how to do edits there. Get a fresh cup >of coffee

>> or Espresso. Now duplicate the file and call it something else, >like

>> Franco_LED.lib or something. Go into the symbol, selection box >around

>> one of the diodes, pick rotate tool, right-click on the >highlighted area

>> twice which flips it upside down. Do this with all three. Box >around all

>> diodes, pick move tool, right-click and move them back up to >where they

>> were.

I am not sure what you mean by 'Go into the symbol'. Is this something I do

in the Schematic page or somewhere else? I tried highlighting one of the

LEDs I had added to the page but I couldn't find a function that would let

me edit it.

Not from the schematic, must be done in the library editor window.

Hoping it's the same in Eagle 5:

Above the schematic go to -> Library -> Open, then open Franco_LED.lbr

or whatever you have called it.

Then ... -> Library -> Symbol, click on the symbol (right now there is

only one), click "OK". Now you can put a group frame around each diode,

one by one, and rotate them. Afterwards they will be a bit too low but

now you can pull a group frame around all three and move them back up to

their original positions.

Most likely you will also have to modify the pinout on the package, and

maybe the package itself if your diode has a different one. That will

take some learning but you'll have to plough through that, you'll need

it over and over again.

Thank you once again for your help 

Your are welcome.

--

Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

jasperc

The Adafruit Eagle Library

You can download the part you are looking for on this website.