3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 24, 2021 8:33 AM by narrucmot

How to add packages on top of Avnet's petalinux project

ece7498

Hello,

So first of all I ran the BSP-Avnet-script and everything was working properly.

After this, I took the project that was created and trying to build it, and I face this error Petalinux-build error: No kickstart files from WKS_FILES were found , which I finally solved it and running `petalinux-build -c avnet-image-full`. When I try to run `petalinux-build` it still not works.

Now I am trying to add meta-ros layer above of meta-avnet but it gives me errors on the `petalinux-build` command .

Need to mention that meta-ros layer works fine without meta-avnet, and builds successfully if i run `petalinux-build -c ros-image-core`.
      So each layer is building fine alone. How I can build both layers together? I am not famililar with petalinux, just started.

Thanks for the assistance!
      AE

• Re: How to add packages on top of Avnet's petalinux project
          narrucmot

How have you added your "meta-ros" layer?  What are the contents of the meta-ros/conf/layer.conf file?

When we started adding the meta-avnet layer to our BSP builds we needed to make sure we specified a lower yocto priority (BBFILE_PRIORITY_meta-avnet = "5") than the PetaLinux meta-user layer (BBFILE_PRIORITY_meta-user = "6").  I suspect you may need to experiment with this setting for your meta-ros layer.

More about yocto layers can be found here:
          https://www.openembedded.org/wiki/Layers_FAQ

You can look at the yocto layers used in the BSP build in the ./build/conf/bblayers.conf file for the BSP.  DO NOT edit this file, though, because it is automatically generated by PetaLinux.

--Tom

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              ece7498

I downloaded the meta-ros layer from github, then I checkout to zeus branch (as I am using tools 2020.1), then imported the meta-layer in `petalinux-config` after meta-avnet. Also added some packages to the rootfs.config

Here you can see some of the layer.conf, left is one of the meta-ros layers and right is the meta-avnet.

I want to build `image-avnet-full` and `ros-image-core`. How can I build both of these in the same build? This is the most important question I need to answer, as they both working alone.

Also I played with the PRIORITY of meta-avnet and can't get it done. I tried higher values like 7-12 and lower values like 3-4. Still have the same error:

Need to mention that this error occurs after importing to yocto-layers the meta-ros layers. Before adding meta-ros layers, building of avnet-image-full is successful.
              I see that meta-ros priority has higher-values 10-12, and meta-avnet has 5. So I don't see why this error occurs... Any ideas of how to approach this?

I am thinking if I build the ros-image-core in a separate project, can I merge the rootfs somehow?

Thanks,
              AE

narrucmot

Hi Alexander,

Since you are using meta-ros I presume you are building some sort of robot using the Ultra96-V2 board?  Can you share anything about it?

I am not aware of any way to specify more than one PetaLinux build option at a time (e.g. petalinux-build -c <> -c <>).  For the avnet-image-full build the rootfs configuration is specified in the ${PROOT}/project-spec/meta-avnet/recipes-core/images/avnet-image-full.inc file.  There should be a similar file in the meta-ros layer?  Maybe you could try merging the two rootfs configurations together to start as an experiment, or merge the meta-avnet and meta-ros layers together?  I am sorry it appears you are in uncharted territory here and blazing your own trail.  I am interested in your success here and will continue to help as I can.

--Tom