6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 3, 2021 6:04 AM by tarribred61

Making irregular fill shapes and assigning nets

stuartrumley

I come from OrCAD layout where I can make copper fill or copper area in any arbitrary geometry. That copper area or fill can be assigned a net connection to a specific pin or net.

It looks like that can only be done in CS by assembling a number of "pieces" to form an irregular geometry.

For example, I would like to make a copper ground pad for this LLGA-9 package like this:

In order to make that irregular ground pad shape I pieced together a number of regular rectangle shapes like these:

Is that how irregular fill shapes are made in CS? 

If that is the case, how do these or any final shape get assigned a net connection?  To I have to subsequently go back an edit each piece of the shape to attach a net name?

Thank you,

Stuart

• Re: Making irregular fill shapes and assigning nets
          nhee

It's similar to Orcad although probably not in the same order (as I recall).

Click the Polygon Pour tool.

Make your selections of name, pour style, associated net, locked, poured or not, etc.

Your cursor turns into a large vertical cross.

Draw your polygon with as many vertices as you desire.

When you close the polygon and escape out of the command, it will be poured with the style you chose.

There is also a tab in the dialog box for entering actual vertex coordinates.

This can be handy if, for instance, you were laying out a PCB antenna from a specific design or, if you were

entering the shape from a spreadsheet with IPC rules, etc.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • Re: Making irregular fill shapes and assigning nets
              tarribred61

Yes, this can be done using the polygon pour.  That would be done on the PCB level.

To make an irregular shape on the footprint I suggest searching for "Altium Designer custom footprint" and read a number of related threads.

Summary wise:

1) You can combine pads by overlapping them and give them the same pad number to match the schematic symbol pin.  When a net is connected to the pin all the pads will pick up the net name.

2) You can draw a custom shaped polygon on the copper layer and corresponding shapes on the paste and/or solder mask layers.  If these overlay with a pad then the copper will connect to the pad net.

1 of 1 people found this helpful