A simpler method is shown below. It eliminates the Copy Component and associated steps.
1. Add a part from the Vault to your schematic
2. Copy part from schematic and paste into your schlib
3. Update the PCB
4. Copy part from PCB and paste into your pcblib
5. In your schlib pasted part
1. delete footprints
2. add footprints from your pcblib
3. (optional) append “_novault” or your choice of text to separate from a Vault part
4. click OK
6. In the schlib panel, click Add and accept the new name (i.e. “component 5”)
7. Click once on the part you copied from the schematic, then right click and copy
8. Click once on the new “component 5” (or whatever) part, right click and paste
9. A copy of you schematic part is created with _1 appended
10. Save your schlib and pcblib.
This new _1 part is now separated from the Vault. This shorter method has been tested and appears to work fine. Please comment otherwise.