16 Replies Latest reply on Apr 3, 2021 9:56 PM by o.thornwall

Data recorder

o.thornwall

I'm in need of coming up with a device that will record actions of another device, that can also give the exact date and time of that action

It will run on Battery power.

what is the minimum idea I may wish to have ?

Any idea are welcome.

Thank you, OT

• Re: Data recorder
          shabaz

I think it was hinted at (maybe too subtly?) in a different question that you raised, that a bit more detail can help people to help you.

Otherwise, it's a complete guess where you're going with the question.

Here's some tips:

How to Ask Questions using the Create Discussion tool

In particular, the section "Ideas for enhancing questions". (not all may apply, so you can use judgment on what's relevant).

If you apply some of the ideas, I think you'll get information that benefits you more, because if someone has an amount  of time to dedicate to you, then you'll squeeze most value for your problem to be solved.

Here, my slice of time has not helped you solve your specific problem at all. But my slice of time might have helped with your problem, if you'd raised your question with the detail that helps people.

5 of 5 people found this helpful
              o.thornwall

Shab, do you ever post any responses that are more then just opinions ?

shabaz

Hi,

On this topic yes, I've written, as have others, several articles on data recorders / loggers, and commented lots of times on those topics. The Search box at the top can be used to find articles on your desired topic, and for this particular topic there are dozens/hundreds of articles.

It might or might not help. I cannot say, since you have not stated your goal, and the objectives have little detail in the two sentences you wrote.

The link posted above could have helped you write these or establish these if you have not already done so. You're the one asking for help, you should understand the need to bring your question to the table with detail. It's not the first time.

There's often no single right answer, so you can expect to find opinions in responses, sometimes lots of opinions.

5 of 5 people found this helpful
                    genebren

I feel that your comment is highly inappropriate.  shabaz is one of the most helpful members of this community and his posting was on the mark.  If you really want to get help for your question, the more information that you supply, the more members will be able to assist you.  Your question is a bit too vague for anyone to understand what you are really looking for (what kind of actions do you want to record? how many channels?, what kind of timing accuracy do you need?).  On my first read of this post, I just quickly moved on the other posts as I felt that there was nothing that I could add, which is interesting given that I once went into business building data loggers.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                      fmilburn

The advice you are getting from Shabaz is good advice. There are numerous knowledgeable people on this site and they are quite generous with their knowledge.  But if the response to member suggestions is a string of “that’s not what I’m looking for” because the query lacks information then eventually people will get tired of guessing what is wanted and you don’t want that.

Is mains voltage involved, are the data records to be be done at fixed intervals and if so how frequent, or is the data taken only when events occur, how many channels of data, and so on.  Tell us what it is for.

4 of 4 people found this helpful
                    fmilburn

Assuming this is for sensing light... There are numerous ways to do this.  For example, see this kit from Adafruit that adds a real time clock, SD card for storing data, battery power, and a light sensor to an Arduino.  But you could use any microcontroller with these features or perhaps a Raspberry Pi.  If the microcontroller has WiFi connection you could log the data on the "cloud" and access it from anywhere.  Rather than using a light sensor you could sense the current to the light if it is mains powered to see when it comes on.  It will depend on the level of sophistication you are trying to achieve and your own skills.

4 of 4 people found this helpful
                      kmikemoo

Huge kudos to the E14 Community for showing their professionalism and grace.  shabaz, genebren, fmilburn and michaelkellett, GREAT JOB!

I opted to delete my recommended solution post and move on.  You all chose the higher road.  That's why you're the best.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                        phoenixcomm

o.thornwall  gee that's really sparse, and it is a big universe.  first, you need to know a few things:

• what type of data stream is it? monolithic or disperse??
                        • how long to you want to record for time and size

In my flight simulator, I have a data recorder but it's all timecoded I record the following things

• Navbus Messages ~100pfs
                        • CANaerospace Messages
                        • Radio frequencies
                        • pilot control inputs.
                        • and on and on.

~~Cris

BTW for time, you can use an NTP server from the Internet providing your thing has ethernet connectivity.