2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 27, 2021 10:46 AM by bhfletcher

High Temperature normal ?

joachimschaefer

Hi, i have a small application with one a53

running, luts 17%

but the device was very hot. I have measured 60 *C . This is now within the spec but i would know if this is normal.

i am thinking to add a fan to the passive heatsink.

Greetings Joachim

• Re: High Temperature normal ?
          ctammann

Hey Joachim,

Couple of questions for you, do you know roughly how much power this design draws? Could you run a vivado power report? Also, where are you reading that temperature? is that reported from the device or using a bench meter? I'm assuming this design is running at room temp. I will say that the Ultra96-V2 can get hot. The heatsink when running our AI design gets very warm, but does not violate the junction temperature requirement. In my testing adding a small fan to the heatsink does drop the PMIC and Xilinx temperature by about 20C.

I guess the main take away is that yes, the device will run hot. At room temperature we can run pretty much anything we want on the board, but know that it will get hot to the touch. Adding a small fan will dramatically drop that temperature, however running a worst case design in my testing showed a max junction temp of about 73C. While that is definitely hot, it does not violate the junction temp requirement.

Thanks
          Chris

3 of 3 people found this helpful
            • Re: High Temperature normal ?
              bhfletcher

Another question that I had is whether this is with the new or old heatsink. The new heatsink is really efficient at drawing heat away from the devices on board, meaning you will feel the heat in the heatsink a lot quicker. Even if there is only a small amount of power being drawn, the PMICs are still regulating, and with the internal FETs, they generate heat. Where the old heatsink wasn't in direct thermal contact with the hot parts, a board with the old heatsink may have seemed like it wasn't getting as hot, but the Junction Temp on those parts was actually higher.

Bryan

3 of 3 people found this helpful