6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 31, 2021 3:07 PM by Jan Cumps

Help with prototype

kalflux

Hi,

I'm new to the Element14 community and I'm hoping for some advice. I'm trying to create a prototype for a product idea I have that doesn't exist on the market. I'm a high school bio teacher, so I don't have the knowledge on how to do the circuitry, coding, pcb, bluetooth, wifi connectivity that it would require. So, I'm hoping to find some knowledgeable people who may be interested in partnering and working on this with me. Anybody out there looking for a challenge...or maybe you can do this in your sleep?

Any advice or direction would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!

(By the way, I hope it's ok to talk about this in your forum!)

Kalina

• Re: Help with prototype
          jw0752

Hi Kalina,

I faced a similar situation 7 years ago when my idea for a  duty cycle alarm for an expensive piece of equipment needed someone more skilled than myself to produce a functioning prototype. After looking for a collaborator I eventually decided to begin the process of learning what I needed to learn to build it myself. As I designed I ran into problems and had questions. A sales rep at Newark Electronics suggested that I try this website and ask my questions. Back then there were lots of talented people on the site but they were reluctant to do the work for me. I was sent back to my problems with guidance and eventually I worked my way through to a marketable product.

Today the  market is stocked with lots of building block modules that can be integrated to do just about anything that can be imagined. One no longer has to be able to design from the basics but can put modules together to accomplish what is needed. If you do pursue the basic knowledge to design from the floor up you will be even more rewarded. That would be my recommendation. Begin your own build with a good understanding of what you want to build. Break the design into pieces and subsystems that you can either design yourself or that you can buy already designed on the open market. When you have questions post a detailed  description of what you want to do and what you have figured out on your own. The more focused your question the better the answers and suggestions you will receive.

My idea and product never actually made it to the big market. I had a limited number of sales and after exhaustive attempts to get it into the hands of a company that could take it fully to market I gave up. If I had to redesign it now I could do a much better job as the process of learning, that began with the need to build it initially, has continued and in my opinion the real benefit of the idea and my attempt to build and market it was the inspiration to improve my fundamental knowledge of electronics.

Good luck on your project. I hope you continue to post on this site so we can follow your progress to success. If you ask questions the guys now are much more ready and willing to throw ideas and circuit ideas back to you that they were 7 years ago for me. As a high school teacher you realize that while you will be able to get help, in the end, you will have to probably do your own homework.

John

4 of 4 people found this helpful
              kalflux

HI John,

Thank you for your email and the encouragement. I agree that the product I'm trying to build is not complicated and I had the same thought about doing it myself, but the devil is in the details and I don't have the expertise to troubleshoot my proto in attempt to get it to market. I also know that I won't have the time to devote to the learning curve that I'll be working with.

I'm looking for someone who has that expertise so I can focus on all the other aspects of getting a product to market (there's a lot!).

If I could, I would take a few classes to learn more about electronics and coding, but alas, I'm a single mom of a college student, so I have my teaching job and a side hustle to keep this boat in the water!

Thanks, again, for the ideas and encouragement!

Best,

Kalina

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              jw0752

Check out this thread as it may have some suggestions on where to start the process.

https://www.element14.com/community/thread/78208/l/where-do-i-start

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                Jan Cumps

With Bluetooth and WiFi involved, i expect that the majority of time and budget will be spent on getting tested and certified in each region.

1 of 1 people found this helpful