5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 18, 2021 11:01 AM by bhfletcher

MicroZed SD Card boot problem

hixboz

Hello all,

I am trying to build custom Linux for MicroZed 7010 by using Petalinux 2018.3. I would like to boot it from sd card. I have installed Petalinux and I have only changed INITRAMFS mode to SD card mode from "petalinux-config" . Than I have compiled the system without any error. My sd card is SDHC 16GB class 10. I have formatted it with two partitions as vfat and ext4. After compilation process has done, I copied to BOOT.BIN and image.ub file to first partition. For rootfs, I used the command like "sudo dd if=rootfs.ext4 of=/dev/sdb2 conv=fsync bs=1M".

I got below message and booting process has stopped before root login.

"bootconsole [earlycon] disabled"

In u-boot, I have changed the bootargs as

"earlycon console=ttyPS1,115200"

After that, I got lastly this message and I couldn't get into root login.

"Starting tcf-agent: OK"

I have set the boot jumpers correctly. How can I solve this problem?

Thanks inadvanced. 

• Re: MicroZed SD Card boot problem
          jafoste4

Hi,

Just to confirm using one of our pre-built images are you able to boot your MicroZed?

Verifying this would validate your jumper settings and the quality of your SD Card. Leaving the only variable to look into being your custom image.

Also when you built your image were you starting from one of our petalinux BSPs?

Thx,

Josh

hixboz

Hi,

Thanks for reply. I did not use the petalinux bsp while building image.I just checked the sd card and the jumpers with Avnet Microzed image. I downloaded the image from here.I formatted the SD card as fat filesystem and copy the all files into it. It boots the system. I have followed this tutorial written by Adam Taylor. I only changed the root filesystem type as SD Card from "Image Packaging Configuration->Root File System Type" . What can be the problem ?

Thank you.

hixboz

Hello Josh,

I noticed that there is no "primary sd" option under "Advanced bootable images storage media->boot image settings" while configuration process. I checked the tutorials which explains booting from sd card and there is "primary sd" option in these tutorials. I got lastly  "Starting tcf-agent:OK" message and there is no any error. In tutorials, root login prompt comes after "Starting tcf-agent:OK" message. I suspect that the root filesystem configurations. Additionally, I observerd the root file system typing "ls mmc 0:2" in u-boot. Is there a chance that root filesytem not mounting from sd card to system?

Thanks. 

hixboz

Hello, I have still same problem. I got Dropbear ssh key, before "Starting tcf-agent:OK" message. Probably the rootfs is mounting to system but could not see the root login. Should I add some serial configurations to device tree or does it can be solve by setting the bootargs from u-boot? Is there anyone to have similar issue like this?

Thanks.