Third generation Toshiba silicon carbide MOSFETs are now available from element14
New Toshiba 650V and 1200V silicon carbide (SiC) MOSFETs improve efficiency and save space in industrial applications
element14 has announced the availability of Toshiba’s third generation of 650V and 1200V silicon carbide (SiC) MOSFETs. Designers can realize enhanced efficiency, reduce size for industrial applications and provide up to 80% improvement in both static and dynamic losses. These highly versatile products are suitable for use in a wide variety of demanding applications including switch mode power supplies (SMPS) and uninterruptible power supplies (UPSs) for servers, data centres and communication equipment. Other uses include renewable energy, such as photovoltaic (PV) inverters and bi-directional DC-DC converters used for Electric Vehicle (EV) charging.
The new 650V TW015N65C, TW027N65C, TW048N65C, TW083N65C and TW107N65C SiC MOSFETs feature the following benefits:
- The cell structures are based on those used in Toshiba’s second-generation devices, which optimises the advanced third generation SiC process.
- Significantly reduced power loss enables development of solutions with higher power densities and lower running costs. A key figure of merit (FoM) calculated as the product of drain-source on-resistance (RDS(on)) and gate-drain charge (Qg) to represent both static and dynamic losses has improved by approximately 80%.
- The new devices contain the innovative embedded Schottky barrier diode (SBD) proven in the previous generation, which enhances the reliability of SiC MOSFETs by overcoming internal parasitic effects to maintain a stable device RDS(on).
The new third generation 1200V SiC MOSFETs comprise the TW015N120C, TW030N120C, TW045N120C, TW060N120C, and TW140N120C are housed in an industry standard TO-247 package and feature:
- The ability to handle currents (ID) up to 100A and feature RDS(on) values as low as 15mΩ.
- A generous maximum gate-source voltage range, from -10V to 25V, which enhances the flexibility to operate in various circuit designs and application conditions.
- The gate-threshold voltage (VGS(th)) range from 3.0V to 5.0V, ensures predictable switching performance with minimal drift and permits a simple gate-driver design.
- The devices have RDS(on) values from 15mΩ to 140mΩ (typical, at VGS = 18V) and drain-current ratings from 20A to 100A (DC at TC=25°C).
Adrian Cotterill, Product Segment Leader, Transistors & WBG, at element14, “We are committed to providing our customers with the very latest semiconductor products and these third generation SiC MOSFETS now available from stock provide a significant leap forward in technology from one of the world leaders and biggest investors in discrete power technology.”
Farnell Global is a fast and reliable distributor of products and technology for electronic and industrial system design, maintenance and repair. From research and design through prototype to production, Farnell helps its customers access the products and services they need 24/7. With more than 80 years of experience, 47 localised websites, and a dedicated team of over 3,500 employees, Farnell provides every component its customers need to build the technology of tomorrow.
Farnell Global trades as Farnell in Europe, Newark in North America, and element14 in Asia Pacific. It also sells direct to consumers through its CPC business in the UK.
Farnell Global has been part of the established global technology distributor, Avnet (Nasdaq: AVT), since 2016. Today, this relationship allows the company to support its customers at every stage of the product life cycle, offering a truly unique distribution model, as well as expertise in end-to-end delivery and product design.
For more information, visit http://www.farnell.com/