Farnell enhances eCommerce website to support growth of online business
New enhancements to Farnell’s website enhance the customer experience, making it easier than ever for engineers and designers to find and order the right products for their projects.
Farnell, an Avnet Company and global distributor of electronic components, products and solutions, has rolled out new website functionality to enhance user experience as more customers make use of online channels and services. The enhancements provide Farnell customers with increased flexibility and ease of use when identifying and buying components for new product design, production and testing.
Farnell has a strong online presence in Europe and has seen the proportion of business conducted online grow further since the start of the global COVID-19 pandemic, reflecting the changing needs of engineers and designers working and ordering products from home.
The proportion of online orders in some European markets has increased to more than 90 per cent within the last 12 months. Farnell’s latest website enhancements enable customers to speed up project design and the product procurement process.
The new enhancements to Farnell’s website include:
- Free Traceparts 3D CAD Models and 2D CAD Drawings are now available in response to customer requests. Designers can speed up project design with immediate access to 3D models and 2D CAD drawings at no cost. The CAD viewer enables customers to make a quick visual evaluation of components with view/zoom from any angle before downloading and integrating it into their preferred CAD software.
- Access up to 5 years of Order History means that customers can quickly access their order history, making it easier for them to reorder previously used parts from past projects. Filtering through this list is even easier with additional options to search via manufacturer part numbers, order codes, customer part number, manufacturer, product details as well as delivery addresses and dates.
- Enhanced Technical Documents provide vital product data and technical information to help customers research and purchase products online. Farnell has added more than 25 new search categories for technical documents, including application notes, whitepapers, user and service manuals, certificates and datasheets, which can be downloaded directly from Farnell’s product pages.
- Highlighting popular products provide professionals working from home with increased confidence when choosing components and products. Remote working is one of the foremost impacts of the COVID-19 pandemic and it has created an increased need for enhanced digital services that support customers in the product selection process.
- Addition of English search capabilities on German and French websites to support the large numbers of customers searching for products in English. Across Europe (excluding the United Kingdom) 11% of customers use English as their default language. New sitemaps have been introduced to help customers search for products in English when using Google in Germany and France.
- Product Page Attribute selector makes it simpler for customers to navigate across products within a range. All attributes and values are now available and editable directly on the product page – so switching between a series has never been easier.
- Faster Website has been a key focus for Farnell with the aim of making it one of the fastest in the industry. Changes over the last 12 months has resulted in taking over 1 second off page load time with lots more to come.
Ian Baxter, Global Head of eCommerce, Farnell says: “The COVID-19 pandemic has had a significant impact on the purchasing patterns of our customers. With more professionals now working from home we are experiencing an increase in demand for products, components and solutions outside of normal operating hours. We have invested in the functionality of our website to ensure our customers continue to receive a high-quality service at every stage of their design to production journey, regardless of where they are based. These new website enhancements provide customers with increased flexibility and ease of use when designing and ordering products with Farnell.”
Farnell offers an extensive range of support services to customers, including free access to online resources, data sheets, application notes, videos and webinars on Farnell’s website as well as 24/5 technical support. Farnell customers can also access Avnet’s broad ecosystem, ensuring support at every stage to save customers time and money by speeding up their design to production journeys.
Farnell is a global technology leader with over 80 years in the high service distribution of technology products and solutions for electronic system design, production, maintenance and repair. Farnell uses this experience to support its broad customer base, from hobbyists to engineers, maintenance engineers and buyers as ‘The Development Distributor’, working with leading brands and start-ups to develop new products for market, and supporting the industry as it seeks to develop the current and next generation of engineers.
Farnell trades as Farnell in Europe, Newark in North America, and element14 throughout Asia Pacific. Farnell's global businesses are supported by a global supply chain of more than 3,500 suppliers and has an extensive inventory profile developed to anticipate and meet the needs of innovative customers everywhere. Farnell also sells direct to consumers through a network of resellers, and its CPC business in the UK.
Farnell is a business unit of Avnet (Nasdaq: AVT). Avnet is a global technology solutions provider with an extensive ecosystem that delivers design, product, marketing and supply chain expertise for customers at every stage of the lifecycle.
For more information, visit the website at http://www.farnell.com/corporate